Monday, August 11, 2014

Culture Day

Today, we went to the field director, Todd's house for a "cultural day".  The boys learned how to husk a coconut while the ladies learned about their traditional handicraft.  They use parts of coconuts to create the crafts. Here is an example of their handcraft. They are very beautiful.


Here is some of me learning how to weave it. I broke the "string" on my first try and got the hang of it after a while. It is pretty easy to do.  




We also had dinner of rice and BBQ chicken, served Marshallese style (or maybe just Todd style) in plastic containers on back of a truck. 



No firepit is complete without s'mores!  Yum!


Here are some sunset pictures taken from Todd's home.











Above two pics-world teach volunteers enjoying the sunset. 

And some witch moon pics!



Guess what came in the mail today!?!?  Three of my boxes! Yahoo!  It felt like Christmas morning!  The box of books came in last week, two boxes of toys and one personal box came in today, waiting for one more personal box.  2 months is long enough, don'cha think!?!?  I also got a box of treats from Sandra! Thanks, Sandra! The fruit bars and almonds are delicious!  I ate one fruit bar when I opened the box!

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering about your boxes! Such a long time! Very nice of Sandra to send you treats! Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete