When I first found out about this race, I was excited and wanted to participate, then I found out that teams went by school. I got a little worried because my school would not be participating due to the small number of students. No one contacted me asking me to join their team (childhood all over again haha) and I asked some people I knew who would be running. No response so I signed up to volunteer figuring that I would be involved somehow if I would not be run if. When I sent that email asking to volunteer, I mentioned that I would prefer to run but couldn't find a team, madness started.
I sent that email last Saturday, got a response telling me to call someone (Carlon) cuz some schools were still looking for runners. On Monday I called the number and he told me that Uliga school was still looking for a runner and at the same time the woman I originally emailed told me that Laura was still looking for a runner so I emailed both schools, no response from either person so I emailed Carlon on Wednesday telling him that neither school responded. He told me he signed me up with the Uliga team running 1.5 miles. I was a bit disappointed because I was hoping to run a longer distance but at least I would be running. I asked him for information, he told me that Uliga team would have a meeting. On Friday (day before the race), I emailed Carlon again telling him that the captain hasn't told me details of the race (what time and where to meet), he told me that Uliga already found someone else but that Delap was still looking for someone. That was at 415, schools close at 5 so Chinilla called Delap school, the school said they would look for the person responsible and call us back. By 430, no call yet so we decided to drive to the school and find him. He was not hard to find and I signed up to do the 17th leg, 2.5 miles. Good thing the island is small enough to be able to arrive to the school before 5! We agreed to meet at 6:30 where he would pick me up.
So I met him at 6:30 the next morning. He drove me to Delap park where all the other teams were meeting and they rode onto buses to their legs of the race. Since I was close to the end, he told me to come back around 11 at my leg starting place. I couldn't go back to sleep so I decided to go for a little run before the run. I ran 4.5 miles, finally had a good run because I have been sick for a while.
It was time to go to my leg starting spot. I arrived, and waited 2 hours with the other women. Finally the runners from leg 16 were on their way. Laura team came first, with a 3 mile lead. Then coop, then Woja, then Ajeltake, then Assumption, then it was my turn. I steered running in 6th place and ended my leg in 4th place. I stayed after I was done to see the final leg runners come in. I never saw the final Delap runner come in. I left after 8 runners came in, and saw the 9th on the road. No Delap. I hope he is ok.
The Laura runner for leg 16 is another volunteer and when he came in, he told me that the Laura team wanted me on their team but found out I was on the Uliga team. Sorry, Laura team! If I had known I would have joined Laura team.
I have a bib from the Marshall Islands to add to my collection! 05 is school number and 17 is leg number.
Large group of young boys (interestingly, no girls) waiting at start area with us.
They had this chart telling people which team was where and in which place. So cool to see the changes!
I ran past Delap school on my leg and many kids/staff members were there cheering me on. It was nice to get that support. There were also people on the side of the street close to the end of my leg watching and cheering us. I saw one of the babies that I do home visits for. He was confused to see me. Haha.
The end for legs number 17 and 18 was at Delap park. I got some food and waited for the last leg runners to come in. While waiting, I saw one of my students from my kindergarten class and the brother of another child I do home visits for. This island truly is small and I bump into people I know all the time.
I enjoyed myself at the race. I will post more pictures if I find any more from other people.




Wow! You really stuck with it, lots of challenges! Glad you got to participate, another once-in-a-lifetime experience!
ReplyDeleteYep I did! :)
Delete