I vividly remember driving to LAX with my mom and wondering if I made a mistake deciding to come here. I would have two more days left in America, having seen family and friends across America. I felt nervous, excited, and full of wonder. The time got closer and closer, and finally it was time to go to LAX. I got to my gate, sat down and waited for the other volunteers to arrive. I recognized some of them from Facebook. We all arrived with excitement on our faces, eager to meet the other people who would have a similar experience. I sat back and just observed the scene in front of me. Their faces, their clothing, their interactions. I also wondered where the other Deaf volunteers were and how I would find them. All of a sudden, I saw hands fly not too far from where I was sitting. I felt relieved and walked over to meet them. We introduced each other and made small talk while waiting to board the plane to Honolulu.
We arrived in Honolulu at some crazy time late in the night and had to find the shuttle to our hotel. We all walked together and people assumed roles on their own-the leader, the follower, and the skeptic who questioned whether we were going the right way. And the rest of us who just wanted to go to bed and didn't care where we were going as long as we would reach the hotel. We arrived the hotel and checked in, allowing us 4 hours of sleep before having to be at the airport "bright and early". Again, people assumed different roles.
The plane took off and we were over the big blue ocean for 5 hours. Finally, we saw land! Photos were taken, from cameras and camera phones. People who were lucky enough to sit in the middle (yours truly) got a brief glimpse of the place we would call home for the next year. The water was different shades of turquoise clear, you could see the coral beneath the water. We landed and got off the plane like tourists, taking pictures of everything. The plane, the "yokwe" sign, and waited in line to get our passports stamped. I was shocked. The time has finally arrived and I am here! It felt like a dream.
We got to know each other, learn about Marshallese culture, Marshallese lifestyle, and just get used to living in a developing country while living in an elementary school classroom. Each room had about 12 volunteers sleeping on the floor. As time went on, the shock that of being here wore off.
School started, I got into routine of teaching and finding stuff to do on the weekends, such as watching what is going on in front of my own eyes and face timing with family and friends back in America.
During Christmas break, we had mid service training when all the volunteers got together to get a break from volunteering and just enjoy being around other ribelles (some volunteers were the only ribelle on their island and there was no one else who could speak English). It was time to decide when we wanted to fly back home. We had a choice of June 1, 3, 5, or 8. I picked the first, thinking that I would want to get out of here as quickly as possible.
Now, I have a week left here, the place that I have called home for the past year. It is hard to even imagine leaving. This magical place in the pacific has grown on me.
I am not sure what happened during break, but I started the second semester feeling different. I felt like I was a part of this island rather than an outsider. The Marshallese people consider me one of them for the most part. They have opened up to me, showing their true colors and the amazing culture that they own. I know that I will always have a "home" here.
I do not even think about my answer when people offer me fish (raw or cooked). Children walking around naked make me laugh to myself. Dogs no longer scare me. I know secrets to staying cool under a thousand layers of clothing. I automatically stand in the shade while waiting for a taxi. I am not shocked when kids arrive to school without shoes. I get one glass of water for my class and remind them not to drink the entire glass because there are other students waiting for some water.
I will definitely miss this place and the laid back life.
Off to make the most of my last week here!
And if anyone was wondering, I made the right decision coming here.
An adventure you'll never forget! :)
ReplyDelete