There is one Marshallese family living on the island to help keep the island clean and running.
They have a hotel room, volleyball court, picnic area, many trees, kayaks that you can take out onto the water and a floating dock, and of course bathrooms!
When I arrived, the first thing I did was to take a quick dip into the water. The water felt cooler (and looked much cleaner) than in other places I have gone swimming. After the quick dip, I walked around the island over to the Oceanside.
View of Eneko from the dock. The white house on the right is a hotel room I believe.
Sun shining through coconut trees
After walking a while, I found a path that leads back to the beach, so I took it.
Looking back through the path to the ocean
When I arrived back to the beach, I swam out to the floating dock nearby. It was a hard swim with the waves. Mad props to swimmers!
View of the water from the dock
Once on the dock, I looked down into the water, relaxed and slept a bit, then I tried to swim back to shore. I kept on going sideways so finally I got ahold of the rope holding the dock near the shore and just used the rope to get myself back to shore. Then it was time to whip out my hammock!
It was very nice and relaxing to lay in my hammock, swaying with the wind and reading my ebook on the phone. It was a bit windy and that, along with my wet clothes, made me feel a little chilly. I read my book and tried to stay warm til it was time to go back to Majuro.
This island is also supposedly where you do not have to cover your shoulders and knees. I didn't feel right walking around so "naked" so I wore a t shirt and shorts. I guess I have become so accustomed to Marshallese clothing norms.






Looks like a paradise :-)
ReplyDelete