Monday, November 10, 2014

Home visits

The EHDI coordinator and I have been doing home visits together since I arrived because Marshallese people are shy and not comfortable around people who are not Marshallese.  She went to a conference in Texas last week so I have been doing them on my own for two weeks now.  

It's been an interesting experience.  Most parents are able to read/write English to some degree.  We usually try to communicate by lip reading (hard because they pronounce things differently) or gestures before goog to written English.  They also teach me Marshallese while I teach them sign language so it works out both ways! 😄

Today I had a first: home visit with a naked 3 year old boy. 😄. I arrived to their home to see him standing out near the driveway.  I wasn't sure if it was the right boy or not but he led me to his mother and I figured it was the right boy. I just had to giggle in my head... Welcome to Marshall Islands! Lol!

Young children are often naked for whatever reason and I guess I was bound to encounter this experience sooner or later. 😄

4 comments: